- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, optional
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add
- garlic if desired; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the flour,
- pepper and salt until blended; cook and stir until golden brown,
- about 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in 4 cups cheddar cheese and Asiago cheese
- until melted. Mixture will thicken.
- Drain pasta and return to the pan; stir in cheese sauce. Transfer to
- a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 331 calories, 17 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 15 servings.