Homemade Pizza Crust and Sauce:
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound bulk sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 24 slices pepperoni, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 370 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 761 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and
- salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°.
- Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough
- remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30
- In a large skillet, cook and stir mushrooms in 2 teaspoons oil over
- medium-high heat until tender. In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes,
- tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings.
- Generously grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan or dish with the
- remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Punch dough down. Roll out into a 15-in.
- x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing onto the
- bottom and halfway up the sides of pan. Sprinkle with 2 cups
- mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon half of the sauce over the cheese (save remaining sauce for
- other use or use for dipping). Layer with the sausage, sauteed
- mushrooms and, if desired, pepperoni; top with the remaining
- mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 450° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake about 5
- minutes longer or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with basil if
- desired. Yield: 12 servings.