I found this recipe in this book. I wasn't sure how it would turn out - I'm not a fan of really spicy food. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was and my family loved it! And I am such a fan of crockpot recipes - they're so easy to make! Anna gave it "4 thumbs up (2 thumbs and 2 big toes!)". Try it and see!
Spicy Black Bean Corn Casserole
- 3 Tbsp. diced green chiles, divided
- 1lb ground beef, cooked
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 oz.) can corn with red and green bell peppers, drained (I just used canned corn)
- 1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
- ½ cup egg substitute (I followed the directions on the box for adding an egg and some milk and it turned out fine)
- 1 (8½ oz.) package corn muffin mix
- 2 Tbsp. chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers (optional)
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) pre-shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend or Cheddar cheese
- 6 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream
- 1½ tsp. thinly sliced fresh cilantro
1. Place 2 Tbsp. green chiles and next 7 ingredients in a 4 quart electric slow cooker, stir well. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours.
2. Combine remaining 1 Tbsp. green chiles, egg substitute, muffin mix, and roasted red bell peppers in a bowl. Spoon batter evenly over bean mixture in cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour or until corn bread is done.
3. Sprinkle cheese over corn bread. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Top each serving with sour cream, sprinkle with cilantro. Yields: 6 servings. Calories 366 (30% from fat)
Fat 12.4g (sat 5.8g, mono 0g, poly 0.1g)
Calcium 307mg Pin It