Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Provençale Chicken Supper

Here's another recipe from the COOKING LIGHT SLOW COOKER COOKBOOK. I was a bit skeptical about liking this recipe, but it is really healthy so I thought I'd try it and hope for the best. I made some rice to go with it, plus a side salad - you know, for something to fall back on in case it wasn't all that good. Wow. This recipe is great - hence the reason for my posting it here. :) I served this on top of a side of rice and they went great together!

Photo found here.


Provençale Chicken Supper
INGREDIENTS:
4 (6-ounce) skinned chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can pasta-style tomatoes, undrained (I used fire roasted tomatoes with garlic)

HOW TO PREPARE:
Place the chicken in an electric slow cooker; sprinkle with basil, salt, and black pepper. Add the bell pepper, beans, and tomatoes. Cover with lid; cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours. Servings: 4-5. Serve over rice.

Amount per serving: Calories: 296; Calories from fat: 10%; Fat: 3.4g; Saturated fat: 0.6g; Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g; Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g; Protein: 34g; Carbohydrate: 32.5g; Fiber: 5.1g; Cholesterol: 66mg; Iron: 4mg; Sodium: 785mg; Calcium: 81mg
Print Friendly and PDF Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous@ Thanks, Jill.
Hugs,
JEB

Melissa said...

I think I might make this tomorrow for Sunday dinner. I am going to attempt using my dry white beans from our food storage though. Do I dare?? I am soaking a whole wheelbarrow full over night. I have only used dried beans a few times, and have not been happy with the out come thus far. But I have got to try and use them some how. I will return and report.