Monday, February 28, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana

I always order chicken parmigiana when I dine at Italian restaurants. I love chicken parmigiana with angel hair pasta and alfredo sauce, instead of marinara. Whether you like marinara or alfredo better, this recipe is for you! I just may have to stop eating chicken parmigiana at those restaurants, because this recipe is a real winner! I found this recipe in my Martha Stewart Living Magazine. I also found it online here.



Chicken Parmigiana:
BREADING AND FRYING
1 1/2 cups fine Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 - 1/2lbs chicken breasts, cut into slices or small cutlets (3x4 inches or bigger)
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed

ASSEMBLING
Marinara Sauce and/or Alfredo sauce (I didn't make my own, and it was fabulous)
1 1/4 cups coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1.Bread and fry the cutlets: Combine breadcrumbs, pecorino Romano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and some pepper. Put flour, eggs, and breadcrumb mixture in 3 separate dishes. Dredge cutlets in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Dredge in breadcrumbs to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes.

2.Heat oil in large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. (Oil is ready when a breadcrumb sizzles when dropped in.) Working in batches, fry cutlets until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a greased casserole dish with sauce in it - see #3 for instructions on sauce in pan.
3.Assemble the dish: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread 3/4 cup marinara sauce (or alfredo sauce) in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange a single layer of cutlets on top. Top with 1 cup sauce, covering each piece. Sprinkle with mozzarella and pecorino Romano. Cover with foil. Bake until bubbling, about 10 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese melts, about 2 minutes more.*

Prep: 40 minutes Total: 1 hour, 25 minutes
*I actually stacked some of the cutlets, so I wouldn't have to make 3 or 4 pans of it. So, that means that I added more sauce. With the alfredo pan, I poured one jar on the bottom of the pan, put in the cutlets and then poured another jar on top of them. Yeah, I don't even want to THINK about how many calories it has in it. Print Friendly and PDF Pin It

No comments: